City Gazette, 1-10-1829 Public Sales
city property by Ogier, Bee & Carter between the legatees of Dr.
Jas. Lynah, deceased, complaintants and Dr. Edward Lynah and other
On Wed. 14 January will
be sold virtue of decreal order of the Court of Appeals. The following
valuable real estate belonging to the legatees of Dr. Jas. Lynah. The
fine tenement brick house on the northeast corner of Meeting and Queen
Streets containing six large upright tooms with extensive garrets and
vaulted cellars(1) measuring in front on Meeting Street 22'11" and in
rear or depth 164'3" on Queen Street, (2) with all the buildings
thereupon comprising a two story brick kitchen, brick stable, and two
story brick house fronting on Queen Street and now producing a rent of
$100 per annum. The above has ever been considered one of the best
professional residences in this city.
The 3 story wooden house and lot in Meeting Street in
possession of Thos. Inglir, hairdresser. The above rents for $300 per
annum and is deemed valuable, the house being built of black cypress.
The adjoining small house and lot with other buildings thereon.
The two story wooden house and lot 35'6" x 103'6" on Wentworth Street.
Recently the existing structure was razed and the writer had the
opportunity to examine the cellars which still remain from the original
building. They were ample to accomodate the most lavish of taste in
wine and other beverages, as befitted a Charleston gentleman.
The house on Meeting Street was acquired Oct. 13, 1785 for the sum of
2830 Guineas from Wm. Hasell Gibbes. The description of the land being
similar to that above. It was bounded on the north by the property
belonging to Bernard Elliott and an alley at the rear. RMC book Y-5 pg.